Tuesday, September 05, 2006

No Imagination - Enigma

Some time ago I wrote No Imagination. Sandra was a character in that tale and here she writes about the central figure of Daevid.
No Imagination was important to me inasmuch that it has many autobigraphical attributes.
Shamefully I left Daevid unconcious in a hospital bed and have yet to return to him.
Time changes things. Therefore, be warned Daevid will be back ...
<>
Sandras tale
I am paid to write. I do occasional articles for many publications, sometimes at a moments notice. The topics can vary - the last was a PR piece on the usage of organic and synthetic materials in farming in the country of Chad.
All of which is relevant only because it shows how versatile the English language has to be. One minute it has to be matter of fact and scientific and then it has to cope with emotion.
Emotion. Easy word to write. Easy to spell. Phonetic… e - mo - shun.
How many different emotions fill his room when people visit him?
Jane? She sits with him constantly and exudes love. She so desperately wants to hold her lover in her arms again and cannot bear the pain of being so distant.
Frank? He loves too but in a different way. He loves him as a fellow traveller on this journey through life and offers the hand of friendship. He wants Daevid to know the joy that comes from having God as a Saviour!
Squirrel, Chip and Prof? They love him as they would a brother. A member of that close-knit community of bikers. The fellowship of like-minded people. You find it in music too.
Me? I lusted for him…
I first met Daevid at the Manse. I was immediately struck by his modesty. He is an attractive man and I have to confess that my initial thoughts did include lust but I quelled this as soon as I could; mostly I have succeeded. During the short times we were together he always behaved impeccably and there is a certain amount of disappointment here. I would like to have known him better but I didn't know about Jane at that point so I'm glad that I didn't try anything and make a fool of myself.
He is a very assured young man. Not arrogant at all just.. nice; and it was impossible not to like him. I've read of his misdemeanours and I'm not impressed, I have met a few ruffians in other places and Daevid pales in comparison. That is not to say that he is in any way angelic! A loveable rogue? Yes, I like that.
Playing the guitar is a gift from God in my mind and I hate to see a gift unused. His gift is latent. It is there but unused except for the odd occasion. I loved playing duets with him because it is rare to find a kindred spirit that knows exactly how you are thinking. But play we did and the music flowed. I made him late for work once and he did not mind a bit.
When I see him now it is difficult to relate to that same person. I gaze at his hands that lay there so still and I recall how those elegant fingers can fly effortlessly up and down a fretboard producing the magic of music. Oh, how I have prayed for his suffering to end and that he should be back with us. I know God has his own timetable and I have no right to question His judgement but… when I see Jane sitting beside his bed, holding his hand and gazing with such love at his face, it breaks my heart.
Please God, take him or return him, we all love him so.
Every week Mr. Gunn mentions him in prayers and I know that many others at Hilltop also ask for intervention in their own meditations. My faith remains steadfast but I still question. Forgive me Lord.
And there you have a range of emotion. Something for everyone. So is it any wonder that people doubt on occasion?
Or is it that we care so much but are helpless and must fall to You in supplication and cry 'Hear me Lord for I have sinned.' Or do we think to ourselves that there but for Your grace go I?
The answer will be revealed to us one day. My prayers ask that it is sooner not later.

5 comments:

Janus Torrell said...

Very nice, I shall be keeping an eye out for Daevid to make a return.

Wyrfu said...

Why, oh why, is his name spelt "Daevid" rather than "David"? Sorry, but it bugged me...

Janus Torrell said...

He might be dutch? I knew Peiters, Joens, Stiegs at one point. Otherwise, not sure.

I am still trying to figure out why I don't have a Y in the middle of my name.

a fractal cat said...

At the time of writing I was listening to a band called Gong - The lead singer had the name Daevid Allen. I thought the name different enough to warrant attention so I unashamedly pinched it.
Not sure if it is relevant but the Daevid Allen in the band is Australian....

Wyrfu said...

If you were Dutch, Janus, we'd have to pronounce you as "Yanoos". Ponder that, if you will. ;)

But what an excellent explanation of "Daevid". I shall inform Number One Son that henceforth his middle name will be spelt Daevid. After all, he spent nearly a year in Australia...